Saturday, July 4, 2015

Work, tasting, and life.

It's been a while since my last post, and I apologize for all of those you read my wine blog.
I currently have a new job at Peco's Liqueur Store (http://www.pecosliquors.com) in Wilmington Delaware, my home town. I've been running small wine tastings almost daily and have done a few tasting notes to help anyone looking for a bottle of wine to bring to a party, to woo someone, or even to just have a drink and enjoy the summer!

Just a reminder that a basic WSET level 2 tasting guide is used to explain the wine tastings done, I also ask everyone to drink responsibly.

Wednesday Nights Tasting : Secateurs Chennin Blanc 2011 From Swartland South Africa
Color: Pale Lemon yellow, clear.
Nose:Peach, stone fruit, grapefruit, clean with no apparent faults.
Palate: Length; Medium+
            Acidity; Low (if chilled to 8°C/ 46.4°F)
            Body; Medium-, in my opinion the body was falling short but 5 tasters for that evening said the body was full and luscious.
            Alcohol; Medium -
            Flavor intensity; Medium +
            Flavor Characteristics; Nectarines, Yellow Grape Fruit.
            Style: Dry

Price:$14.99
Alcohol percentage: 13.5%
Where I would suggest drinking it: Outside with a fruit salad or at a ladies night!
Additional Comments:A new world wine that does pack a punch, a fruity punch, it's a little like having fruit salad with melon bits thrown into your mouth.

Thursday Night Tasting; OOPS 100% Carmenere 2013 Valle Central Chile
Color: Medium Dark Purple hues.
Nose: Clean, red stewed fruit, red cherry, and smoked oak.
Palate:Length; Medium +
            Acidity; Medium -
            Body; Medium -
            Alcohol; Medium -
            Flavor intensity; Medium
            Flavor Characteristics; Oak, red cherries, clove, star anise, cinnamon
            Style: Dry
Price: $9.99
Alcohol percentage: 13.5%
Where I would suggest drinking it:At a BBQ with ribs, or spicy Cajun catfish.
Additional Comments: This wine is like a nice date, uncomplicated and goes will with ribs.

Friday Night Tasting: Gruner Vetliner Anton Bauer from Austria
Color: Pale lemon yellow, clear.
Nose: Lemon grass, clementines, clean.
Palate: Length; Medium -
            Acidity; Medium +
            Body; Medium
            Alcohol: Medium +
            Flavor intensity; Medium +
            Flavor Characteristics;Citrus, minerals, stone, chalk.
            Style: Incredibly dry.
Price: $10.99
Alcohol percentage: 12%
Where I would suggest drinking it: In the backyard on a hot summer day.
Additional comments: I am biased because I had the opportunity to go to Austria this past Spring Break and I fell in love with country, people, and wine. If you tell me I'm drinking an Austrian wine I will undoubtedly confess my love to it and for it. PLEASE SERVE THIS WINE CHILLED (8°C/ 46.4°F)


Saturday Day Tasting (Happy Independence Day America!!!):
Wine 1: Dry Creek Vineyard 2012 California Cab- Sau
Color: Medium ruby red.
Nose: Oak, red stewed fruits, some minerals.
Palate:Length; Medium
            Acidity; Medium
            Body; Medium
            Alcohol: Medium +
            Flavor intensity; Medium +
            Flavor Characteristics; Red summer fruits, oak, strong tannins.
            Style: Dry
Price: $15.99
Alcohol percentage: 14.5%
Where I would suggest drinking it: At a family dinner, maybe BBQ. Goes well with stake.
Additional comments: Extended maceration on the wine (wine left in contact with grape skins for a while). Soil where it is grown is very Iron Rich.


Wine 2: Acacia 2013 Chardonnay from California
Color: Hay yellow.
Nose: Citrus blossoms, pink grapefruit, stone.
Palate:Length; Medium
            Acidity; Medium +
            Body; Medium -
            Alcohol: Medium
            Flavor intensity; Medium
            Flavor Characteristics; Citrus, orange blossom, stone such as chalk.
Price:10.99
Alcohol percentage: 13.5%
Where I would suggest drinking it: I can picture this wine being drunk at a family gathering.



No comments:

Post a Comment